Weekend in the Lake District

This post is a little different from my usual as it's not book-based. Last weekend I went on a 3 day trip to the Lake District with my family and wanted to document my stay. I took plenty of photos and thought my blog was the perfect place to show them all. (Even though Instagram's multiple upload feature comes in handy at times like this, you can only add 10 photos at a time and I took waaaay more than that!) 

Friday
The original plan for Friday was to climb Catbells, but due to us leaving later than planned and a lot of traffic on the way, we took a slight de-tour and visited Brough Castle instead. Located in a picturesque village with gorgeous flowers flowing from hanging baskets and brightly coloured front doors embellished with shiny golden knockers, the remains of the Roman fortress are only a short walk away from the car park. The route is clearly sign posted and on the way you are greeted by some fluffy sheep grazing in the nearby fields. We took a picnic so we stopped for lunch by the castle remains, before going off to explore. There was only us and another family there, so it was very quiet and meant we practically had the place to ourselves! There were lots of information bays holding a placard which gave us a detailed insight as to who previously lived there, who built the castle and when. Although we were only there for about an hour, (it was very windy!) we got some lovely photos and I'm so glad we got to have a look around. I'd say it is perfect for somewhere to stop off and have a picnic lunch if you're on a long journey, or perfect for kids to run around and explore! The walls of some rooms were still in tact, so it was great to look around and get a feel for what it would have been like to live there! 


There was also a gorgeous tearoom and ice cream parlour nearby, a great stop off for lunch. If only it hadn't been so cold and windy I wouldn't have been able to resist an ice cream!
The castle ruins - plenty to explore!
Room with a view
Inside the castle
Look at that beautiful blue sky (it was very deceiving - a lot colder than it looks!)
Brough Castle
Our spot for lunch (sheltered from the wind)
On the short walk back to the carpark
  

Saturday
With the weather forecast looking unpredictable for Saturday, (there was a lot more showers than sunshine, let me tell you) we headed to Ullswater for a stroll alongside the Aria Force waterfall. Parking was a bit of a nightmare so if you plan to visit, I'd aim to be there for about 10am. However, we soon found a spot out of the main car park, further up the bank which turned out to be for the better as it meant we enjoyed gorgeous views as we ambled through the forest. Before long, we reached the - what felt never-ending - steps leading down to the waterfall. The noise of the rushing water echoed in my ears as the white foam cascaded down the jagged rocks and met in a swirling pool at the bottom, before it gushed under the arched, moss-covered bridge. Unfortunately I didn't capture any photos of this as I wasn't brave enough to get out my camera so close to the edge! However I doubt that the photos would have done Aria Force any justice. We walked along the river on a scarily narrow pathway until the river thinned out and our pathway led into the forest. We followed the sign posts and were soon passing the main car park and tearoom (from which the mouthwatering smell of bacon sandwiches was drifting) and across a main road to the Ullswater Pier. The view was mesmerising; the majestic mountains loomed over the calm lake, their peaks were shrouded in fog. At this point we were so relieved we hadn't chosen today to climb Catbells - I don't think we'd have been able to see our hands in front of our face!

A map of the park

The view we were greeted with
3 Western Hemlock
Ullswater

Sunday
On our last full day the weather was much better (although it doesn't look it in the photographs!) so today was the day we finally climbed Catbells. It didn't rain which was our main worry and although it was cloudy, it was warm enough to walk wearing only a thin hoodie and waterproof cagoule over my top. The sun didn't make an appearance however this was probably for the best since climbing mountains can be a sweaty business as it is! We parked on the main road at the bottom of Catbells as we did twice before when we've been on previous occasions. After a 20 minute walk along the road, we reached the bottom of the mountain and began our ascent. Catbells is said to be one of the easiest mountains in the Lake District to climb (it doesn't feel like it at the time though!) as it has a clear path all the way up. Everyone you pass on the way is so friendly, many of them smiled and said hello, while a lovely old couple chatted to me as I walked and gave me the encouragement I needed!

Overlooking Derwentwater

Once at the top, we enjoyed our picnic of sandwiches, sausage rolls and crisps. The view from the top is incredible. On the times we've been before, I don't remember the purple lavender covering the top like a soft, fluffy blanket as it was this time. The rolling green hills and shimmering blue waves of Derwentwater below completed the view which I have to admit made the whole journey worthwhile (even after all my complaining on the way up - me? Complaining? Never!).

The view from the top
Ever the fashionista


Monday
On Monday morning we travelled home, but not before I snapped a few pictures around the lodge where we were staying. It was a lovely weekend; an absolute treat to spend some time outdoors and have a break from constantly looking at screens like I usually am 24/7! I hope we visit again soon.


Comments